Sunday, June 2, 2013

Life is sweeter with acceptance

The month of May just flew by right under my nose, honey. And with that are memories of you walking your first steps, shrieking with delight when you see familiar faces in the crowd or when we playfully chase after you, and the many antics you have learned that make us shake our heads in amazement. You are truly a very smart kid, and who knows how else you will trick Mommy, Daddy or yaya in the days to come!

I just wanted to tell you that in the last few months, things have been easy. No, there wasn't any miracle nor you were easier to care for as the days go by. In fact, it's the opposite. You wriggle out of our arms to walk towards that baby we saw in church today, making you so excited you were screaming your lungs out for the whole congregation to hear!

Anyway, I realized that life and all its little idiosyncrasies becomes sweeter with acceptance. Here are some of the many things that I have recognized to be part of my life the moment I became your mom, and most probably this list will grow longer as you get older.

1. I have accepted that I will no longer have a full 8 hours of sleep, which I once considered as a basic need. I'm extremely lucky to get 6 on installment, but the normal count now is 4 or 5.

2. I have accepted that I will get back aches and sore arms from carrying you even when I lie in bed. It goes away with massage, so you don't have to worry about me. I just have to be aware of my posture everytime.

3. I have accepted that there will be times I'll take late lunches if it means nursing you to sleep, giving you a bath or feeding you.

4. I have accepted that "me" time is only the time I spend in the bathroom, collectively. It varies from time to time, but the longest is half an hour. I'm lucky that we have yaya now to take over when I'm working.

5. I have accepted that my bed space is just big enough to fit my width and I have to make do by folding my arms under my head and it makes me so ngalay I can barely sleep. It takes practice to be able to turn and lie on my tummy without going beyond and occupying your space in the middle.

6. I have accepted that my social networking profiles and status updates will consist mostly of your face and anecdotes of your antics. Then again, my life I bet wasn't as interesting for others until you came around!

7. I have accepted that anything that your dad and I will do together will depend on your sleeping or feeding schedule and availability of grandparents/yaya to take care of you. No more spur-of-the-moment movies; everything will be scheduled.

8. I have accepted that a day of shopping will not be complete without buying you something, even if that means spending all my money on it.

9. I have accepted that I can no longer procrastinate or dilly-dally when working. I can only work when you are fed, bathed, nursed or sleeping, and that does not give me a lot of time during the day. Of course, I want to play with you too.

10. I have accepted I can no longer just go away and go shopping/get a workout/have coffee with a friend anytime I want to. Unless I take you with me, but then I have to prepare for poop time/feeding time/sleep time along the way, which I'd rather not, on my own.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I so can related with everything you've just posted!

    ReplyDelete