Friday, April 5, 2013

Post-birthday shout-out

Time flies so fast. In two weeks, you'll be 10 months old and it's been more than a month since my birthday. Usually I'd write about my birthday reflection, but this year, and I guess in the years to come, it will be a bit different.

Since you were born, my concept of date and time flew out the window. Weekends are as tiresome as Mondays and sadly, they don't end. I only realized that I was turning 33 when I checked the calendar for your next vaccination. Your daddy kept asking me if I wanted to do anything special on my birthday and I couldn't think of anything. Anyway, the day ended with me and your daddy cooking a big batch of our favorite clam pasta for my family. It was still tiring, but it was a happy kind of tired.

It's a far cry from what my life was 5 or more years ago when I was single with no worries but requirements for masters classes. My days were filled with meet-ups with friends from preschool, previous work, grad school, gym, grade school, college and church group. It felt like I had 50-hour days with the things I was doing, with matching energy to boot. There were days when I would go to gym after work AND THEN meet up with friends for dinner and another set of friends for a nightcap. Naturally, I'd go home late and sleep a few hours before another workday begins.

Nowadays, the energy I have is just enough for taking care of you and Daddy and working from home for a few hours. I'm still grateful for a bit of me time every now and then, but honestly, I miss my friends. I've made really good memories with a lot of them, and I hope they still haven't forgotten me. I feel guilty for somehow disappearing from the picture, and thanks to Facebook, I haven't faded out completely.

Later on, Georgia, you'll find people who will share the same interests and experiences with you, be it in school, in the neighborhood, at the playground. When you do find your own set of friends, keep them close. Show them how much you appreciate their company, their stories, jokes, and whatever they do for you. You can never have too many friends, but then again you may prefer having a few and that's alright. What's important is the memories you make with them. Always remember that life will always be better with friends around.

Allow me then to make a shout-out to my very good friends, your titos and titas, as this may be one of the very few times I can do so.

***
To everyone who has made wonderful memories with me in the past 32 years of my life:
You will always be a blessing to me. You made my life colorful and enriching. Thank you for your time, your efforts in keeping our friendship, the pieces of advice you've given me, your stories and jokes, and your gifts. I may not have been there for you in the last 5 years or so, but always remember you're always in my heart. I wish I could turn back time and make more memories with you. Nevertheless, marriage and motherhood happened to me and I know you understand if it will take time before I slowly get my groove back. I will try to get in touch with all of you in the next months or years, and I hope you'll be looking forward to it as much as I am. I miss you guys so much! Let Facebook be our bridge for the meantime. Cheers to all and I will see you guys soon! :)
***

2 comments:

  1. I realized that true friends are people that you don't have to see or talk to often. You are one of them. We can go for months or even years not meeting up, but once we do catch up it feels like there was no time gap. Thank God we are just a text or PM away. As I have no more time to write mine, I truly enjoy reading your experiences as if you are writing of the same thoughts and emotions that I have. Cheers to wifehood and motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Cathi! I still owe you a visit, future momma. I promise we'll see each other soon! Mwah!

      Delete